Get Help

If you or someone you know needs help, there is someone who will listen and help you.

  • Reach out to a family member, favorite teacher, coach, neighbor, church, school nurse or counselor, or one of the national helpline listed below.
  • The moment you reach out, share, and begin talking with someone — you are that much closer to the solution to your problem and finding the help and guidance that you need.

If you or a friend are in crisis and need to speak with someone now, call:

If you’re in an emergency

  • Dial 9-1-1

Support for family members and friends of a loved one

  • Al-Anon – Relatives and friends who are concerns about the drinking problem of another. Learn more
  • Nar-Anon – Relatives and friends who are concerned about the addiction or drug problem of another. Learn more
  • PAL Group (Parents of Addicted Loved Ones). Learn more
  • Grieving Centers – For those who have lost a loved one to overdose:

Support for those facing alcohol or drug addiction/substance use disorder

If you need information on treatment and where you can find it:

  • Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration (SAMHSA) – Treatment Facility Locator at 1-800-662-HELP,
  • National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) – National Institute on Drug Abuse has developed step-by-step guides for people with loved ones who might have an addiction problem, or for people seeking to help themselves. They are in a simple, “Q and A” format, and include easy-to-understand videos.  These guides focus on the steps needed to determine if a person needs treatment; how to find it;  what happens in treatment, how to find help paying for it;  privacy issues, and more.  The guides  are customized into 4 categories:

1. for teens seeking help
2. for adults seeking help
3. for parents or guardians seeking help for their teen or young adult child
4. for people trying to help an adult loved one

Learn more